Business District Holiday Decorations Need You!
The Jamaica Plain Business and Professional Association (JP BAPA) has big plans for holiday decorations in 2013.
Wreaths on Light Poles
Living balsam wreathes with berries will be hung near the end of November on the light poles from Arboretum Place in Forest Hills through Canary Square, including small commercial areas on Pond, Green, Harris and at the Monument.
Prizes for Business Decorations
JP BAPA will give 13 prizes for holiday decorations on and in front of buildings from Arboretum Place in Forest Hills through Canary Square this year. Here’s what business people need to do to enter:
• Decorate your building and/or a pole or other structure already in front of your building by Dec. 6, the day before the tree lighting at the Soldier’s Monument and the holiday stroll.
• Try to make decorations that are pleasing in the day as well as night.
• Try to use white lights for the trim of the building, roofline or window. Put colored lights, if you want them, and other decorations elsewhere.
• If you decorate a pole or other structure outside your space, make sure your plan does not make a permanent change and does not interfere with anything or anyone. If you have a question about what you can do with city property, call or e-mail JP Coordinator Jullieanne Doherty at the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services:Jullieanne.Doherty@
• Judging will be done between Dec. 7 and Dec. 13 by a judging committee whose members award points for various attributes, including the above. Prizes: First place: $50, second place: $30 PLUS 11 more prizes of $20 each. We are offering these prizes as a way to help defray costs of decorations and reward good decorations for the district. Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at the BAPAholiday party on December 18. (More details coming.)
Some businesses have already offered to donate to help pay for these decorations and prizes. Everyone is being asked to please do so—before Thanksgiving if at all possible.Mail check made out to JP BAPA to JP BAPA, PO Box 301221, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0011.
Questions? Contact Brad Brown, president of JP BAPA,email@example.com or 617-983-3765. Sandee Storey,firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-524-4873. Michael Reiskind, email@example.com, or 617-522-1150.
Note: The JP BAPA decorations contest is in addition to any decorations contest the City of Boston and/or Centre/South Main Streets may hold.